Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dragonfly \ Noon Song


Alan:  Roadkill comes in many sizes and shapes.  There’s always too much of it.  We should acknowledge what we destroy.



Dragonfly


The dragonfly
flew low
over the road
and dipped just 
as I hit it
going 40 miles an hour
its perfect hunter’s eye
useless
and its clean arc
cancelled.

I had just time to see
in the rearview mirror
a tiny cross
of body and wings
on the pavement
as I sped
out of its world
forever.

At the corner:
the first fireweed
in bloom.



Nancy:  Wren song and robin song, vireo, hermit thrush, and under the moon the owl – and my songs? Catch me if you can, nothing as certain as matins or evensong.



Noon Song


The vireos
sing call and response
making cathedrals
of the green wood
cool stone
rustle of cloisters
call and response
drifting away
quiet of noon

Drowse of noon
broken
now a small bird
sings its own name
here and there
in the roses
sings what it knows
roses
its own name

then again
silence

Noon song
morning song, evening
sometimes
I close my eyes
         hoping
that sometimes
distant
like a far off
leeohlay
I will hear my own song

No comments:

Post a Comment