Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Room Of My Own \ Flurries


Nancy: "Where has she gone now?"  I heard them asking one another as I made myself small and invisible in one of my hidey-holes.



A Room Of My Own


Bone.
It comes to that.
Bone.
A skull.

So many failed:
    nests of fern
    hollow trunks
    wickiups, like
    inverted baskets
    thickets
    corners of rooms
    notebooks
    frostbitten
    collapsed
    invaded

But bone –
bone holds
now that it comes to that.
A cave of bone.
Paintings on the walls.
Words like handprints.
Painted songs, painted stories.

I close my eyes
    locked inside
    invisible
    I close my eyes
close the doors of my room
    my room
    roll boulders against the doors
    my room
    my bone, my skull
    my own



Alan:  The forecast called for a day of flurries.  They kept coming, on and on, all week long – one continuous, slow, messy, inexorably accumulating drift.



Flurries


Cars in the                                                                                ditch. 
    
Cars

waddling down

the center of the

road,
                                                                                           everything

white                                                                                    (Flurries
          
they said.)                                                                                    The

double yellow

line

you can hardly                                                                         (see)

a huge

shape approaching,

spitting salt and

dirt.



“Flurries” first appeared in County Wide newspaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment