Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Back \ Shifting The Year Uphill


Alan: Thich Nhat Hanh teaches, “Every moment, wonderful moment.”  Easier to accept at some times than others, but well worth the practice.



Back


Until my back gives, I am immortal.
On my knees, I inspect my future home.
Rising, I am suddenly old.
Hobbling inside to lie down, I become a foundling.
So I recall that each moment holds birth and death,
and that both are framed in suffering.
You bring me tea, and I, grateful simply for kindness,
forget all wisdom, or why it was ever needed.



Nancy: If a poet can’t move the earth on its axis – who can?



Shifting The Year Uphill


so spare
the bay skimmed with ice
the apple tree empty
one small hawk haunting
the still air

and all the grey weight of
   the world notwithstanding
I brace my arms
my back, my long bones
on a shaft of light
and push

No comments:

Post a Comment